ftp from Red Hat AS 4.4 to Open VMS System

I am migrating from some Solaris boxes to Red Hat. I have a couple of jobs that ftp a file to our legacy Alpha server running Open VMS (All on a private network).

Anyway, from Sun and even Winders boxes the ftp works fine. But from any of my Red Hat boxes, I get connected and can even run some commands, ie. status, rstatus. But an ls, dir, get, or put all just hang forever. Does anyone have any ideas. I have already tried both ftp binaries on the boxes, and stopped iptables on the linux servers, with no luck.

Thanks
-Troy