Disk Image Backup

nilesh vaghela nileshj.vaghela at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 20:20:37 UTC 2006

if you have enough space in local drive than give following command

dd if=/dev/hda of=bkp.img bs=1024

It will make a very big file name bkp.img.

in case of failure you can restore with

dd if=/path_to_bkp.img of=/dev/hda

will restore the image.

Be careful at the time of dd command server will be slow you do not need to
shutdown the server.

One can user ghost opensource ghost if you can down the server.

Few more options are remote dump , ftp , rsync etc can also be used.