[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: redhat-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 11



hi,

just use the another disk suppose that old harddisk is hda and new harddisk
is hdb(both harddisk have same space), boot your system (if you boot in
single usermod than it is good ) and at the command prompt use the dd
command " dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb " (it will take a lot time ;-( ) this
will create the exact clone harddisk with the same configuration. i have
used this on my system also.


On 12/10/06, redhat-list-request redhat com <redhat-list-request redhat com>
wrote:

Send redhat-list mailing list submissions to
       redhat-list redhat com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
       https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
       redhat-list-request redhat com

You can reach the person managing the list at
       redhat-list-owner redhat com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of redhat-list digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. Disk Image Backup (Michael Schwartz)
  2. Re: Disk Image Backup (Barry Brimer)
  3. Re: Disk Image Backup (Meadows, Andrew)
  4. Re: <RHEL: SNTP Client> (Crouching Tiger)
  5. Re: Disk Image Backup (nilesh vaghela)
  6. Re: Disk Image Backup (mark)
  7. Re: Disk Image Backup (mark)
  8. Re: Disk Image Backup (nilesh vaghela)
  9. Re: Disk Image Backup (Michael Schwartz)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 17:57:53 -0000
From: "Michael Schwartz" <mbs tenagraobservatories com>
Subject: Disk Image Backup
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <002801c71bbb$8cd370d0$6500a8c0 tenagraall>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
       reply-type=response

Hi -

I have a legacy (RH 7.2) system and need to make an image copy of the hard
drive.  If this machine goes down (hard drive gone) there is no way for me
to rebuild the applications.  Can anyone out there help please?

Many thanks in advance.

Michael
Tenagra Observatories



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:00:32 -0600 (CST)
From: Barry Brimer <lists brimer org>
Subject: Re: Disk Image Backup
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <Pine LNX 4 61 0612091253200 17069 localhost localdomain>
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

> Hi -
>
> I have a legacy (RH 7.2) system and need to make an image copy of the
hard
> drive.  If this machine goes down (hard drive gone) there is no way for
me to
> rebuild the applications.  Can anyone out there help please?

Have you looked into Mondo Rescue?  <http://www.mondorescue.org/>

RHEL/CentOS 2.1 is largely based on RHL 7.2 with some enhancements from
RHL 7.3.  You might be able to rebuild on CentOS 2 without issue.  CentOS
is free.  CentOS 2 ISOs are available at:
<http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/2/final/isos/>

If all else fails, you could download RHL 7.2 at
<ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/>

Hope this helps.

Barry



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:09:00 -0600
From: "Meadows, Andrew" <AMeadows BMI com>
Subject: Re: Disk Image Backup
To: <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <B6F7CE07749BAB45BF8CB28F10F5E7A701CA4FC6 NAMAIL04 bmi org>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="utf-8"

Google mkcdrec

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com <redhat-list-bounces redhat com>
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Sent: Sat Dec 09 11:57:53 2006
Subject: Disk Image Backup

Hi -

I have a legacy (RH 7.2) system and need to make an image copy of the hard
drive.  If this machine goes down (hard drive gone) there is no way for me
to rebuild the applications.  Can anyone out there help please?

Many thanks in advance.

Michael
Tenagra Observatories

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

********************************************
This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and
may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please erase
all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us
immediately.

Thank you.
********************************************

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:26:51 +0000
From: "Crouching Tiger" <crouchingtiger33 gmail com>
Subject: Re: <RHEL: SNTP Client>
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <d42143a80612091126i7ad044beu477f59b5f17deb37 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hello Aleksandar,


Thanks for your quick reply.

As you say, there isn't much advantage of running SNTP vs. NTP.
And, probably, one could "simulate" SNTP by ntpd configuration
regarding accurary. Is this right?

However, unlike NTP, SNTP uses connectionless UDP, and this may be the
whole
point.
Does a NTP server consider the provision of time synchronization service
to a SNTP client? Or a SNTP client needs a SNTP server?


Many thanks.


Best regards.





On 12/7/06, Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex milivojevic org> wrote:
>
> Quoting Crouching Tiger <crouchingtiger33 gmail com>:
>
> > I've been looking for information regarding SNTP support in Red Hat
> > Enterprise Linux 4 AS, however the result is inconclusive.
> >
> > Today, SNTP is the most common use of the NTP infrastructure. Also,
SNTP
> is
> > a small subset of the overall NTP functionality, so it has many unique
> > client implementations.
> >
> > I have found information regarding NTP support. Red Hat Enterprise
Linux
> 4
> > AS implements version 4 of the Network Time Protocol (NTP).
> >
> > Could you please let me know if there is a SNTP client presently in
the
> Red
> > Hat Enterprise Linux 4 AS?
>
> Hmmm...  As far as I know, there is no dedicated SNTP client.  Anyhow,
> what's wrong with configuring ntpd to be just a client?  The
> configuration file is couple of lines (very simple).  Or you could
> just fire off system-config-time and let it create configuration file
> for you (I'd suggest enabling "use local time source" under advanced
> options).
>
> I simply fail to see any advantage of running SNTP vs. full NTP
> implementation.
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>


------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:20:37 -0500
From: "nilesh vaghela" <nileshj vaghela gmail com>
Subject: Re: Disk Image Backup
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <d2c13fd20612091220m7a9f5f61wee96ccdc1bedd5c5 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

if you have enough space in local drive than give following command

dd if=/dev/hda of=bkp.img bs=1024

It will make a very big file name bkp.img.

in case of failure you can restore with

dd if=/path_to_bkp.img of=/dev/hda

will restore the image.

Be careful at the time of dd command server will be slow you do not need
to
shutdown the server.

One can user ghost opensource ghost if you can down the server.

Few more options are remote dump , ftp , rsync etc can also be used.


On 12/9/06, Meadows, Andrew <AMeadows bmi com> wrote:
>
> Google mkcdrec
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com <redhat-list-bounces redhat com>
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
> Sent: Sat Dec 09 11:57:53 2006
> Subject: Disk Image Backup
>
> Hi -
>
> I have a legacy (RH 7.2) system and need to make an image copy of the
hard
> drive.  If this machine goes down (hard drive gone) there is no way for
me
> to rebuild the applications.  Can anyone out there help please?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Michael
> Tenagra Observatories
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
> ********************************************
> This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and
> may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> If you have received this communication in error, please erase
> all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us
> immediately.
>
> Thank you.
> ********************************************
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
>


--
Nilesh Vaghela
ElectroMech
Redhat Channel Partner and Training Partner
74, Nalanda Complex, Satellite Rd, Ahmedabad
25, The Emperor, Fatehgunj, Baroda.
www.electromech.info


------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:23:34 -0600
From: mark <mroth cfl rr com>
Subject: Re: Disk Image Backup
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <457B1B46 3050708 cfl rr com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Michael Schwartz wrote:
>
> I have a legacy (RH 7.2) system and need to make an image copy of the
> hard drive.  If this machine goes down (hard drive gone) there is no way
> for me to rebuild the applications.  Can anyone out there help please?

Um, buy a small hard drive (the newest big ones won't be recognized
properly by the older machine's bios), put it on IDE2, shut the apps
down, and copy all of that (*eigh*, except for /dev....)

       mark



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 15:04:37 -0600
From: mark <mroth cfl rr com>
Subject: Re: Disk Image Backup
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <457B24E5 5040101 cfl rr com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

nilesh vaghela wrote:
> if you have enough space in local drive than give following command
>
> dd if=/dev/hda of=bkp.img bs=1024
<snip>
I reiterate: DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS WITH /dev - it will *never* end.
You'll be trying to "copy" devices, including, oh, /dev/null, /dev/true,
/dev/false, and on, and on....

       mark "only once, and I learned better"



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 05:23:59 -0500
From: "nilesh vaghela" <nileshj vaghela gmail com>
Subject: Re: Disk Image Backup
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <d2c13fd20612100223kfc6f6q43640cefb9f530f mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

May be true, but I do not face that problem.

But agree with you, boot in rescue mode and give this command.


On 12/9/06, mark <mroth cfl rr com> wrote:
>
> nilesh vaghela wrote:
> > if you have enough space in local drive than give following command
> >
> > dd if=/dev/hda of=bkp.img bs=1024
> <snip>
> I reiterate: DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS WITH /dev - it will *never* end.
> You'll be trying to "copy" devices, including, oh, /dev/null, /dev/true,
> /dev/false, and on, and on....
>
>         mark "only once, and I learned better"
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>



--
Nilesh Vaghela
ElectroMech
Redhat Channel Partner and Training Partner
74, Nalanda Complex, Satellite Rd, Ahmedabad
25, The Emperor, Fatehgunj, Baroda.
www.electromech.info


------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:48:02 -0000
From: "Michael Schwartz" <mbs tenagraobservatories com>
Subject: Re: Disk Image Backup
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <018601c71c6a$31d14d60$6500a8c0 tenagraall>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
       reply-type=response

But will this image copy?  I need the entire operating system, everything
that will allow me to take the copy HD and just replace the working HD and
not go through any kind of special booting procedures.

Michael

----- Original Message -----
From: "mark" <mroth cfl rr com>
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 20:23
Subject: Re: Disk Image Backup


> Michael Schwartz wrote:
>>
>> I have a legacy (RH 7.2) system and need to make an image copy of the
>> hard drive.  If this machine goes down (hard drive gone) there is no
way
>> for me to rebuild the applications.  Can anyone out there help please?
>
> Um, buy a small hard drive (the newest big ones won't be recognized
> properly by the older machine's bios), put it on IDE2, shut the apps
down,
> and copy all of that (*eigh*, except for /dev....)
>
> mark
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>



------------------------------

__
redhat-list mailing list
Unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

End of redhat-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 11
*******************************************




--
Dineshwar Kumar
Sr Linux Engg
Momentum InfoCare Pvt Ltd
New Delhi
9891188600


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]