Re: ftp from Red Hat AS 4.4 to Open VMS System

Troy Knabe wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded. When you do an ls or dir on a remote host, it creates a "new" connection back to the server, so it is not persistent. It appears to be grabbing a random port in the 53*** area.

Is there syntax in iptables to allow all ports from a host over port 1024?

I also had to issue the *passive* command once connected before I could run an ls or dir.

If you want to have iptables firewalling between these two systems you could try the ftp_conntrack module. It is designed to handle this issue. It examines traffic on the standard FTP port which requests a DATA connection, and pokes dynamic holes in the iptables configuration to allow the data through.

E-mail :    nmw ion le ac uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555