warning dialog box

Borg, Rodney Rodney.Borg at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Dec 20 22:53:57 UTC 2006

>Bill Said:
>inode0 wrote:
>> On 12/19/06, Bill Tangren <bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil> wrote:
>>> Could someone point me to a link that explains how to present the
>>> user, sitting at the GUI console, with a dialog box either before or

>>> after login?
>>> I'm using
>>> gdm for console login.
>>
>> I'm not clear on what you are trying to do or when but you might look

>> at zenity or dialog for popping up dialogs to the user.
>>
>> John
>>

>OK, zenity will display the dialog box, but where do I place the
command so that the dialog box is displayed either before or after the
user >>logs in via gdm?

Hi Bill,

I had to do a similar thing recently. This is how I did it:

1/ Place banner message in /etc/issue
2/ Added the following to /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default and to
/etc/X11/gdm/Init/0:
	# Login banner
	if ! /usr/bin/gdialog --textbox /etc/issue 60 100; then
	sleep 10
	exit 1;
	fi

I know nothing about zenity but I presume you could put a zenity
command(?) into the Default and 0: files instead of the gdialog command
and get similar results.
I had to do some extra work to make sure this worked for ssh logins too.

Regards

Rodney Borg
Maritime Platforms Division
Defence Science and Technology Organisation
Cordite Avenue
Maribyrnong 3032
Australia

Tel: +61 3 96268228
Fax: +61 3 96268210

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
Organization and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the
Crimes Act 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are
requested to contact the sender and delete the email.