Clock skew problem - RHEL 4 AS

David Tonhofer d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Thu Dec 21 11:14:02 UTC 2006

Syed Johnullah wrote:
> I did set the time in BIOS and on OS also time zone configured
> correctly.
> I don't have problem in other servers in which 32 bit RHEL 4 ES
> installed,
> Two  DL380 G4 servers which is Extended 64 bit has RHEL 4 ES 64 bit
> installed.
>
> Both the servers have same problem.
>
> Regards
> Syed Johnullah

Well, the 'hwclock' command should be used to set the real-time clock
from the running OS, no need to
shutdown.

What does the NTP logfile say? If there isn't one, add "logfile
/var/log/ntp_log" or something to "/etc/ntp.conf"

Maybe the hardware is foobared or the server is running too hot?

A comment from http://www.beaglesoft.com/mainfaqclock.htm

"The hardware clock is updated once per second and cannot display
fractions of a second. For this reason, it cannot be read or set within
better than a second. The accuracy of the hardware clock is determined
by the quality of its timebase oscillator (typically a 32.768 kHz
crystal). These crystals are economical, costing less than $1 in single
quantities. However, they offer only marginal timekeeping performance.
They are sensitive to temperature and other factors and are often not
calibrated at the factory. Even under the best conditions, these
oscillators are not likely to be stable to better than 1 part per
million (about 0.1 seconds per day). In actual operation, most hardware
clocks seem to gain or lose time at a rate of about 1 to 15 seconds per
day, with 5 or 6 seconds per day being typical. Although the hardware
clock usually outperforms the software clock by a considerable amount,
its performance often pales in comparison to even a low-cost wristwatch."