warning dialog box

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Thu Dec 21 14:26:30 UTC 2006

Borg, Rodney wrote:
>> Bill Said:
>> inode0 wrote:

>>> I'm not clear on what you are trying to do or when but you might look
>
>>> at zenity or dialog for popping up dialogs to the user.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>> OK, zenity will display the dialog box, but where do I place the
> command so that the dialog box is displayed either before or after the
> user >>logs in via gdm?
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I had to do a similar thing recently. This is how I did it:
>
> 1/ Place banner message in /etc/issue
> 2/ Added the following to /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default and to
> /etc/X11/gdm/Init/0:
> 	# Login banner
> 	if ! /usr/bin/gdialog --textbox /etc/issue 60 100; then
> 	sleep 10
> 	exit 1;
> 	fi
>
> I know nothing about zenity but I presume you could put a zenity
> command(?) into the Default and 0: files instead of the gdialog command
> and get similar results.
> I had to do some extra work to make sure this worked for ssh logins too.

[root at mach2 Init]# gdialog --help
gdialog is a compatibility wrapper around zenity, provided to hopefully
allow older scripts to run. If you are reading this message, you should
probably be using zenity directly

type: 'zenity --help' or 'man zenity' for more information
[root at mach2 Init]#

Thanks for the help. I'll try it.