DNS Issues after setting up a WAN?

Budi Febrianto bfebrian at gmx.net
Fri Dec 22 02:45:34 UTC 2006

Georges I. Carraha wrote:
> Hello
>
> The result of "ipconfig /all"  from a Windows PC at the main site is as
> follows:
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rs-adm-02
>         Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

> The result of "ipconfig /all"  from a PC at the remote site is as
> follows:
>

> Windows IP Configuration
>
>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rs-adm-01
>         Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
> Connection

In remote site you need to configure dns-suffix, while in main site you
don't need it. this because i believe that the server use samba to
broadcast the name.
in remote site with dns suffix enable, it automatically add the 'domain'
into the host, thus change the host of the into fqdn.
so if you ping abc, it will automatically try to use abc.domain.com

while in main site, it do not need the dns-suffix, because it will use
the name that broadcast from the computer. for small lan it can works,
but for big lan, it usually failed.

usually we add the dns suffix in dhcp server, but for small lan, we can
add it manually.

dns suffix similar with search entry in resolve.conf.

try to add dns suffix in your remote client, and see if that works.