question about cron

I have one server on which it does not seem that the cron daemon is working. I use cron to do system backups and to rotate those backups (as well as quite a few other things). None of them seem to be happening.

My question is, what do I look for in the logs to determine whether or not the cron daemon is running, and if not, why not?

Thanks,

Bill Tangren