SElinux and FC6

Vidiot brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Wed Dec 27 01:37:26 UTC 2006

>If you can't find policy.21 file at all, check that you have
>selinux-policy and selinux-policy-targeted RPM packages installed
>(assuming targeted policy is the one you want to use).  If you don't
>have them, than install them as you would normally do (for example using
>yum).  If you have them, but you don't have policy.21 file, reinstall
>those RPMs (download them, and install them manually using rpm -Uhv
>--allfiles --oldpackage --replacefiles).

I will look after yum is finished updating the system.  Never had SElinux
running with FC2.

>It could be it's grayed out because you are missing selinux-policy
>and/or selinux-policy-targeted RPMs on the system.

Interesting.

>BTW, what is this FC6 box used for?  If it's just an laptop or desktop
>system that has no services running on it (such as HTTP daemon for
>example), there's little use for SELinux on it.  Especially if you are
>using targeted policy (default).  Targeted SELinux policy "targets" and
>restricts only specific services.  Everything else is more or less
>unrestricted.  That's why targeted policy is named targeted.  So if
>system is not running anything that targeted policy restricts, there's
>little point in having SELinux enabled on the system.

It is the replacement server for my website, so httpd and ftpd will be
running, as well as sendmail.

If the above packages are missing from the system, it is interesting that
the installer never installed them, or set up the system with SElinux
turned on in the config file when they weren't installed.

Thanks for the update.  I'll report back later, much later as it is going
to take quite a wile to update 400 packages.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign