Did yum hose my FC6?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Dec 27 17:54:10 UTC 2006

Quoting Vidiot <brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com>:

> The following steps were done over the past few days:
>
> 1) upgraded FC2 to FC6 with DVD
> 2) yum update
>
> There were exactly 400 packages that were to be fetched and installed.
> When all was said and done, the following errors showed up:
[ snipety snip ]
> Yep, it is a damn long list.  I thought that yum was supposed to resolve all
> dependency conflicts?  :-(   Quickly glancing at the list, it looks like the
> conflict is between lesstif-devel-0.95.0-10.fc6 and openmotif-devel-2.2.3-2.
>
> So, now what?

If you look at base and extras repositories, you'll see there's no
openmotif anymore.  Probably got replaced by lesstif?  And lesstif is
in extras, it is not base package.  It's probably a bug in how lesstif
was packaged (it should have caused openmotif to be removed, I guess,
if it is replacement for it, which I haven't checked).

I'd say just remove openmotif* packages.  And install lesstif*
packages instead.

If lesstif is replacement for openmotif, file the bug report on
bugzilla.redhat.com under FC6 Extras for lesstif package.