ES or Fedora

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Dec 28 17:07:55 UTC 2006

Quoting Robert Canary <rwcanary at ocdirect.net>:

> I have a couple new servers I was needing to put online.
>
> I have always built, compiled, and setup my own Linux boxes, the most
> recent ones I did so using RedHat 7.2. and recompiled most of the
> software to make it fit what I wanted.
>
> However, the options availbale today will suit we just me just fine
> without allot of recomipling.
>
> So why would take Fedora over ES, or vice versa?

Fedora:
  - free
  - bleeding edge (less stable, more features, updates can push new versions)
  - short life cycle
  - community support
  - usually no support from 3rd party vendors (binary-only drivers,
commercial software) -- it changes too frequently

RHEL:
  - price tag (annual subscription)
  - older versions of software (more stable, less features,
conservative updates)
  - long life cycle
  - vendor support (actually, this is mostly what you pay for when you
buy RHEL)
  - support from 3rd party vendors

Free RHEL clones:
  - free
  - older versions of software (same as RHEL)
  - same life cycsle as RHEL (as long as project is alive)
  - community support
  - 3rd party vendors might deny support because it doesn't have Red Hat label

You choose which combination of above fits your needs.