Amount of memory still going down.

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:35:05 UTC 2006

On 14/02/06, Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
<Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com> wrote:

> I have had a problem on our Redhat Version 3 servers for a while now and i
> have been unable to find out what the issue is. Basically when we reboot
> our servers, within two weeks the memory used on the servers is 3.2gig so
> we only have 350 mega bytes of memory left and it is still decreasing by
> the day. I cannot see any processes that are causing this issue. Below is
> what i get with the top command, How do i identify the problem, has anyone
> seen this before and how was it resolved without rebooting the machines
> every 3 -4 weeks.

The kernel will use up all available RAM over time as efficiently as
possible so seeing a system using the majority of its memory isn't
necessarily something to worry about.

http://www.puschitz.com/TuningLinuxForOracle.shtml#CheckingPhysicalMemory

"Linux tries to use all the memory for disk buffers and cache. It
helps the system to run faster because disk information is already in
memory and Linux doesn't have to read it from disk again. If space is
needed by a program or application like Oracle, Linux will make the
space available immediately. So if your system runs for a while, you
will usually see a small number for "free" in the first line, and
there is nothing to be worried about."

Will.