Ramdisk in grub problem

Jack Challen jack_challen at ocsl.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 09:20:36 UTC 2006

(Assuming you meant "initial ram disk" where you've written "ram disk"...)

mac subbu wrote:
> 1 can we have two diff ram disks in grub.conf

yes.

> 2 How do we mark an active one and how can we dynamically choose the other
> during boot

There's not really any such thing as the "active one". There's only the
one that's loaded. You must define it before the kernel loads it
(obviously). The ramdisk to load is specified with the "initrd" line -
here's an example:

initrd /my_shiny_new_ramdisk

where "my_shiny_new_ramdisk" is in /boot. Edit that line from within
grub by navigating the grub menu (read the notes at the bottom for
help), and you can change the path to the initrd.

> 3 Does the ramdisk load after grub.conf menu (bootloader) ???
yes.

--
Jack Challen
Technical Consultant, OCSL.