ifconfig command shows only loopback device.

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Feb 24 13:12:57 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Krishnaprasad wrote:

> -------- Original
>
> nice..........
>
> in /etc/modprobe.conf add an entry like this...
>
>      alias eth0 e1000

This should work.

> otherwise in /etc/rc.local file include the following line .....
>
>      modprobe e1000

This probably won't.  rc.local is the last thing done in the boot
sequence.  Services that expect an accessible network interface (like
network) will be started before the interface is accessible.

If you must install a module by hand (because it doesn't get installed
automatically for some reason), make a script /etc/rc.modules (older RH
systems including RHEL4) or /etc/sysconfig/modules/<modulename>.modules
(FC4 and later) to insert it.  These scripts are invoked eary in the boot
process so modules will be available when services need them.

The OP could also try invoking system-config-network.  Look at the
Hardware tab to make sure the interfaces were detected, then delete any
interfaces in the Interfaces tab and recreate them.  This should
automatically configure /etc/modprobe.conf.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu