Change in percent disk used after directory deletion and recovery

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Tue Feb 28 17:41:51 UTC 2006

Greetings -

I am hoping someone may be able to educate me on how to diagnose what
happened to my system.  I have a Dell PE2600, running RHES 3 completely
up2date, PERC 4/di, Raid5 with 3x36G drives, functioning primarily as a
Samba file server to 8 window desktops.  I was notified yesterday morning
that it appeared that a directory under our primary Samba share was missing.
This directory contained our active projects files, approx. 11G and 16,500
files.  It was there one moment, then gone about a half hour later; I am
presuming an accidental deletion at this point.  I looked through some of
the log files (samba logs, and others I don't recall) and found no
indication of what might have happened.  So I restored the directory and all
its files from tape to a new directory with success.  The logwatch summary
of disk space for before the deletion event and after the restoration of the
directory are shown below.  The deleted directory was under the /ecosystem
share mount.  The current disk usage puzzles me because it appears that the
increase in disk space used on /sda10 is equal to the size of the directory
restored from tape.

Questions:
1.  Is it possible that the directory was not deleted, but instead hidden in
some way?
2.  Where would I look to find evidence of what might have happened to the
directory initially?
3.  Why is my disk usage significantly increased following restoration of
the directory?
4.  How should I assign permissions to a primary directory to prevent
accidental deletion, yet still allow subdirectories under this directory to
be created, deleted, and otherwise be used by all employees?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.  I can provide additional information if
needed to understand this issue.

Jeff Boyce
Meridian Environmental
www.meridianenv.com