linux vs SAN

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Feb 1 15:30:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:55:20AM +0200, baran.yurdagul at turkcell.com.tr wrote:
> Veritas volume manager is already installed.

Right company but wrong product.  Veritas DMP (Dynamic MultiPathing) is
the product you need to configure and since you've got the Volume
Manager and the Veritas cluster suite, you've probably got DMP.

Tom is giving you lots of good advice - he's been there before (as have
I) so learn what you can.

If you fail to configure your multipathing solution correctly, you
could very likely:
1.  Fail to access your storage when an HBA or switch port fails
2.  Corrupt your data

Neither option is a good one.

There are several multipathing options available and they vary depending
on the brand of HBA you're using, the storage array, and the version of
RHEL.

I haven't work with DMP on Linux yet and am getting conflicting reports
from Veritas as to the supportability with our storage arrays (HP EVA).
I hope to start working on a DMP implementation soon if Veritas and HP
can get their acts together.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE