From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Steve Gaarder
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 11:11 PM
To: redhat-list redhat com
Subject: Dell 260 runs RH7, panics on RHEL 4

I have a Dell Optiplex 260, a P4 box with 1 GB of memory.  It's been
running Red Hat 7 for years.  When I try to boot the Red Hat Enterprise 4
install disk, the kernel panics.  WHen I move a hard drive containing a
RHEL4 installation to this machine and boot it, the kernel panics.
Knoppix will not boot either.  Memtest86 ran overnight without any errors.
I'm flummoxed!  Any ideas?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
gaarder1 math cornell edu