RE: Dell 260 runs RH7, panics on RHEL 4

Steve Gaarder <gaarder1 math cornell edu> wrote:

I have a Dell Optiplex 260, a P4 box with 1 GB of memory.  It's been
running Red Hat 7 for years.  When I try to boot the Red Hat Enterprise 4
install disk, the kernel panics.  WHen I move a hard drive containing a
RHEL4 installation to this machine and boot it, the kernel panics.
Knoppix will not boot either.  Memtest86 ran overnight without any errors.
I'm flummoxed!  Any ideas?

<ksonmez tai com tr> answered:

Hello Steve,
I have a similar problem with HP xw9300

When the prompt is displayed: boot: _
At the boot prompt, enter   linux acpi=off

Steve Gaarder <gaarder1 math cornell edu> replied:

I tried that - no improvement; it still blows up.

Any further information given at boot time? What are the last messages
given?

-- David