Unable to bind to port '/dev/ttyUSB1'

I'm trying to use jpilot to sync with my PalmOne, but there seems to be
a problem with accessing the USB port. When I run pilot-link to test the
port, I get

$ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -l

   ERROR: No such device
   Unable to bind to port '/dev/ttyUSB1'
   Please use --help for more information

Also, ls -l /dev/ttyUSB1 gives

crw-------    2 andrew   uucp     188,   1 Jan 30  2003 /dev/ttyUSB1

despite the fact that I've done chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB1 previously.

I don't know what the c in crw------- means - I can't find it anywhere
in the documentation about ls. What do I need to do to make ttyUSB1
available as a port?

Andy