Problem with FIFO

Manoj Kumar manoj2kb at yahoo.co.in
Wed Feb 8 07:33:15 UTC 2006

Hello,

  We are using a real time linux. For some operation of ours we create a FIFO file and then delete the same. and also close all refernce to that file.

  General flow folowed is,

  1. mkfifo(filename, perms)
  2. open(filename)
  3. close(fifofd)
  4. unlink(filename)

  however we have seen that 4KB of memory is being lost everytime the fifo is create we are not able to retrive the memory back. The process that created the fifo continues to function. but it closes all refrences to the fifo.

  even after the process terminates the memory is not released

  kernel version : 2.4.20

  Can you help around this problem?

  Thanks in advance,
  regards,