no mail from / for root

I have an RHES4 mahine which does not send any mail to or from root. For example, the result of a cron job is not sent. I thought this service was enabled by default. If not, which services is it. I have read that sendmail has some security issues and since this machine will not be mailing the outside world, I did not want to start or configure it. Not sure where to start looking. TIA.