no mail from / for root

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at tru.ca
Wed Feb 8 16:57:01 UTC 2006

Also, I believe that sendmail's default configuration in RHEL 4 is to
only listen  to localhost anyway.  This means
that even if it is running (with just default) outside users still
won't connect to the smtp port, just localhost users.

In addition, you can also fire up iptables to block port 25 as well,
just to make sure.
If you want email to flow from your machine, though, sendmail (or
postfix) does need to be running.

Wayner

>>> Job Cacka <job at ccbmail.ccbox.com> 02/08/06 8:33 am >>>
	Because sendmail is disabled, and no other mailer is enabled,
this is why
you are not getting the root mail. What we do to protect sendmail is
we
block port 25 access to all servers except for the email servers. This
means
that the port is not available on that machine except locally, in our
own
WAN. We use an external hardware device to accomplish this, which is
the
only way to create a true firewall. Obviously keeping sendmail off is
the
best security, but then so is using scissors on your CAT 5
connections.
	I would guess that if you are keeping sendmail up2date with the
RHN then
you have nothing to worry about. Unless you are NSA, FBI, CIA, some
company
with secrets worth knowing, or good bandwidth that hackers/spammers
might
want to exploit.
	There are other mail servers in RHES 4. Dovecot comes to mind
and I think
that Courier is also available.

Job Cacka