Re: no mail from / for root

they get seved from localhost.

you need to define your root aliases, and sun sendmail -b -m 15 (i think thats the command)

On Feb 8, 2006, at 5:29 PM, j_70 comcast net wrote:

I guess the curiosity here is that:

[root rhel1 root]$ ps -aeef | grep mail
root   19005 18945  0 20:23 pts/0    00:00:00 grep mail
[root rhel1 root]$
[root rhel1 root]$ ps -aeef | grep master
root   19081 18945  0 20:24 pts/0    00:00:00 grep master
[root rhel1 root]$

Yet root has 123 messages. Where are they being served-up from????

From: Steve Rieger <riegersteve gmail com>
ps -aeef | grep mail or ps -aeef | grep master

at the command prompt as root type mail, if you have any it will show
up there,

did you add the proper aliases.

On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:01 AM, j_70 comcast net wrote:

Thanks for the replies to this. My curiosity is that I have two
RHEL4 machines, one where root is sending mail, one where it is
not. As far as I can tell (ps -ef | grep sendmail & ps -ef | grep
postfix) neither of these daemons are running on either machine.
So, what is sending the mail?

From: "Wayne Pinette" <Wpinette tru ca>
Also, I believe that sendmail's default configuration in RHEL 4 is to
only listen  to localhost anyway.  This means
that even if it is running (with just default) outside users still
won't connect to the smtp port, just localhost users.

In addition, you can also fire up iptables to block port 25 as well,
just to make sure.
If you want email to flow from your machine, though, sendmail (or
postfix) does need to be running.

Wayner

Job Cacka <job ccbmail ccbox com> 02/08/06 8:33 am >>>
	Because sendmail is disabled, and no other mailer is enabled,
this is why
you are not getting the root mail. What we do to protect sendmail is
we
block port 25 access to all servers except for the email servers.
This
means
that the port is not available on that machine except locally, in our
own
WAN. We use an external hardware device to accomplish this, which is
the
only way to create a true firewall. Obviously keeping sendmail off is
the
best security, but then so is using scissors on your CAT 5
connections.
	I would guess that if you are keeping sendmail up2date with the
RHN then
you have nothing to worry about. Unless you are NSA, FBI, CIA, some
company
with secrets worth knowing, or good bandwidth that hackers/spammers
might
want to exploit.
	There are other mail servers in RHES 4. Dovecot comes to mind
and I think
that Courier is also available.

Job Cacka