pam for passwords

Steve Buehler steve at ibushost.com
Thu Feb 9 19:53:09 UTC 2006

I am trying to use the pam_passwdqc module to tighten up the
passwords on my system.  I have edited the /etc/pam.d/passwd file by
putting the following line at the end:
password  required        pam_passwdqc.so min=disabled,24,12,8,7
I then commented out the line:
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

I only commented out the line because if I didn't, it would ask me to
enter the password 4 times and it wouldn't matter which line was
first, it would only save the password that was entered during the
pam_stack.so change.  When I had the pam_stack.so commented out, I
could ssh in and run "passwd" to change the password, it would accept
the new password, but would not write to the /etc/shadow file.

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Steve