Red Hat Kernel explaination

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sun Feb 12 14:00:34 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:43:08AM +0530, mac subbu wrote:
> We have a system Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 5)
> kernel 2.4.21-32.EL...we wanted to know if this from Fedora core stable or
> Red hat AS..how we differentiate Red hat enterprise linux from fedora core
> distributions....the installer for this is anaconda..we wud have thought
> anaconda is the installer for fedora core

The .EL means it's the enterprise kernel.

Anaconda is the installer for both Fedora Core and RHEL.  There are many
packages that are common to both since Fedora Core is the proving ground
for RHEL.  The package versions do differ slightly between the two -
you'll likely find features in the RHEL kernel that haven't been
backported to the Fedora Core kernel that the particular RHEL release
based on and instead were incorporated into the latest Fedora Core
kernel.

> How can we differentiate between Fedora stable Vs Official redhat stable

To differentiate Enterprise Kernel from Fedora, cat /etc/redhat-release.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org