iissues on reboot

Sherrett O. Walker buznakka at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 08:37:03 UTC 2006

Hi, all.

I have a Dell 2850 running RHEL 3.  It has six 300 GB SCSI drives set up
with RAID 5.

It's been running since June, and today, I moved it to a new colo
facility.  When I booted it up, a bunch of stuff failed (can't tell you
what it was), and I was kicked to an odd login screen that led to a
strange read-only FS with only the / partition mounted.  We mounted all
of filesystems and did fsck (it was suggested when we mounted) on all
partitions except /usr and a very large partition we use to store our
databases.  We rebooted.  fsck was forced on the big partition, but we
were kicked back to a similar login.  We rebooted again, the fsck took
place on the big partition again, and then we got a regular login.

So, I'm happy my machine finally came up properly, and, if I'm lucky,
I'll never reboot it again, but, I'm a little worried about what
happened.  Is anyone familiar with this?  Can I avoid it by doing a more
frequent fsck?  Is this safe thing for me to do remotely?

Thanks in advance.
SOW