Reducing logical volume space. Will it destroy the data Please advice.

Jack Challen jack_challen at ocsl.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 10:35:01 UTC 2006

unix syzadmin wrote:
> We have a RHEL AS3 server.
> I want to execute the following command to reduce logical volume space.
> "e2fsadm  -L -15G /dev/vg00/backup"
 > Will it destroy the data  Please advice.

It shouldn't do. You'll have to umount the filesystem first (you can't
shrink a mounted filesystem), but it should do what you want. However,
_always_ make backups and (just as important) make sure the backups
work! Incidentally, I'd suggest upgrading to RHEL4 as it includes LVM2
which is _better_in_every_way.

jack