Re: Reducing logical volume space. Will it destroy the data Please advice.

unix syzadmin wrote:
We have a RHEL AS3 server.
I want to execute the following command to reduce logical volume space.
"e2fsadm  -L -15G /dev/vg00/backup"
> Will it destroy the data  Please advice.

It shouldn't do. You'll have to umount the filesystem first (you can't shrink a mounted filesystem), but it should do what you want. However, _always_ make backups and (just as important) make sure the backups work! Incidentally, I'd suggest upgrading to RHEL4 as it includes LVM2 which is _better_in_every_way.

jack