The data transfer rate between the linux servers here is very slow.

Wayne Pinette wpinette at tru.ca
Fri Feb 17 08:59:55 UTC 2006

Theres your problem.  You have one machien running at 1000 full duplex,
and auto negotiating seems to be working (probably plugged into a 1000
full duplex switch)

Your second machine is confused and doesn't know what to do, so is most
likely set at 10/half duplex.  Perhaps the switch/hub your second
machine is plugged into is not auto-negotiating correctly.  The best
thing to do in this case is set your switch/hub AND your machines to
auto-neg.  Or, do what we do, and set your switch/hub to what ever speed
you want, and then use mii-tool in your case ehtool to set your card as
well.  Thsi way you are in direct control.  The important thing here is
to make sure your hub/switch is not trying to auto-negotiate if you
aren't and vice versa.   They need to be talking the same language.

Wayner

>>> unixsyzadmin at gmail.com 02/16/06 8:57 PM >>>
Hi,

The data transfer rate between the linux servers here is very slow.  For
example scp to copy a folder from one machine to another machine takes a
long time.  The scp shows a speed only between 700KB to 1MB per second.
How
can I improve the speed, please guide me.  I tried the following:

[root at bangapps 9.1]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: umbg
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
        Link detected: yes
[root at bangapps 9.1]# ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
[root at bangapps 9.1]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  Not reported