Red Hat 4 ES File System Crashed!

Hello there,
My server with Redhat 4ES crashed, the reason I was told by the company who
maintains it is file system got crashed. I want to know how does the file
system crash? What are the various reasons? I have got updates from RHN on
the system until 17th Feb 2006 and it failed yesterday early morning...
I would appreciate if some one can tell me the reasons for these things...
Thanks in advance
Rajiv