RE: Regarding root access to telnet

I strongly recommend you to limit access to telnet port of your server
using appropriate firewall/xinetd configuration so the telnet sessions
would be allowed only from specified list of IP addresses before
allowing root (or any other user) to use telnet for logging into the
server.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com