RHEL AS4: SCSI - Invalid LUN Reporting

Jay LaPrade jaylaprade at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 17:56:41 UTC 2006

Corey,

I think that there are a few problems with the setup.  I maybe wrong,  but I think that the issue is that the OS is not detecting the card at all.  Mainly because you do not mention it for the dmesg.
Let's see:

Obviously the card is detected on the mother board,  from the lspci:
09:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-3960D / AIC-7899A U160/m (rev 01)

This message is odd,  I suspect that probe all luns is not compiled in:

# dmesg |grep -i lun
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
scsi: host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0x00000200080c0400 has a LUN larger than

So what to do?

1) You should try is to determine if probe all luns is compiled into the kernel.
2) If it is not compiled in,  try the command:

echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 1 X" >/proc/scsi/scsi

Where X is the number of the lun of the device.

3)  You should consider setting these devices up without the Luns,  it would be much easier.  I always recommend using SCSI ID's as lun support should only be used when the number of devices exceed the number of available scsi id's.  Escpecially for the cards.

4)  Providing that either recompiling with probe all luns or the echo command works,  you may need to modprobe the module for aic into the kernel,  then again you may just try the modprobe to get it to be recognized

modprobe aic7xxx

This will load the module for the 3960D SCSI Controller. This command will only load the module for this session, on the next reboot it will probably not be configured again. We will need to check for any variation of the 'alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx' in the /etc/modprobe.conf (possibly /etc/modules.conf) file. If it is not there then the line should be added:

alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx

This will allow the module to be loaded at boot time. In the dmesg we can see that the modules for the 3960D card have been loaded by using the command:

dmesg | grep scsi1

Which should return something like this:

scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
         <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
         aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
(scsi1:A:0): 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz DT, offset 63, 16bit)
(scsi1:A:1): 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz DT, offset 63, 16bit)

So I hope that this was helpful.  My strong suite is scsi devices on the scsi card.  Not the scsi card.

Jay Laprade