setuid for "ssh"

Sachin Bhugra bhugra.sachin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 15:46:59 UTC 2006

Hello Gavin,

Yes, indeed, the doc you sent to me is a wonderful work-around and believe
me i have nothing against this wonderful method :-)

 I am  trying the RhostsAuthentication method just out of curiosity(because
its not working) and definitely i will not assign root permissions to "ssh"
after I get this to work. Yes, you are very right that ssh is pretty tight
about security. Anyways i am partially through with this problem. I can now
assign a privileged port to ssh but /etc/hosts.equiv or
/etc/ssh/shosts.equiv method is not working, i cannot login without
supplying password.

Gavin, here is my sshd_config:

===============================
# test sshd_config

Port 22
Protocol 1
ListenAddress 192.168.0.10:22
SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
LogLevel DEBUG2
RhostsAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
==============================

and my ssh_config is:

=============================

Host *
        ForwardX11 yes
        RhostsAuthentication yes
        UsePrivilegedPort yes

here is what last lines of ssh -vv 192.168.0.10 says:

debug1: Trying rhosts authentication.
debug1: RSA authentication using agent refused.
debug1: Doing challenge response authentication.
debug1: No challenge.
debug1: Doing password authentication.

Any ideas to share???

Regds,