/etc/timezone vs. /etc/locatime in RH ES 4.0 Update 2

David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Wed Jan 4 15:01:29 UTC 2006

And here is another one:

I have recently installed a machine with RH ES 4 Update 2
and noticed that the local system time was in the UTC timezone (I
remember setting it to CET though).

I noticed this:

There is a new file "/etc/timezone" which contains the name
of the timezone selected during install ("Europe/Luxembourg")
However, this file is not woned by any package -- who uses it?

The file that has been traditionally there "/etc/localtime",
which should contain a copy of the TimeZone structure dump
in /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Luxembourg, was missing.

I copied /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Luxembourg into /etc/localtime
and all was well.

But ... is this a new bug? Anyone has encountered this?

Best regards,

-- David