Second drive

David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Thu Jan 5 09:35:20 UTC 2006

--On Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:04 PM -0600 Tenacious One <tenaciousone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys & gals; I have a question, I have a second drive that I'd like to
> assign or use the second drive for user directories, I've been using a
> single drive for years and this is the first time I've installed a second
> drive, now I have to figure out how to use it and have it automatically
> mounted for all users.... How can I do this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rx

Here's the Good Olde Way (tm) of doing it:

Just go ahead and connect it. It should be accessible as /dev/hd? or /dev/sd?
Partition with fdisk(8). Format the partitions with mke2f(8), which sets up the
ext2 filesystem. Give the formatted partitions a unique label with e2label(8).
Add the new filesystems to /etc/fstab (see fstab(5)). Create the mountpoints
using mkdir(1). Use mount(8) to mount your new filesystems on you mountpoints.

I don't know where/whether fstab-sync enters the picture, but I doubt it.