cloning

Sherrett O. Walker buznakka at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 05:26:23 UTC 2006

Hello, all.

I'm trying to mondo clone a Dell 1850 with RHEL 3.0 onto a Dell 2850.
Today, I removed 2 73G drives from the 2850, and replaced them with 146G
drives and did a RAID configuration.  The 1850 has 2 73G drives.  When
starting my interactive restore, I changed the mountlist on the 2850 so
it looked like the mountlist on the 1850, except all of the extra space
was allocated to /usr (or was it /?).  In any case, I wonder if I should
have copied the mountlist from the 1850 verbatim and then done my
repartitioning afterward.  I guess that is question 1.

After going through the restore process, changing disks, changing
grub.conf, and fstab, I reboot.  Grub comes and goes with no problem,
but then I get an error message:  kernel panic:  No init found.  Try
passing init= option to kernel.  So, I take out my handy RHEL rescue
disk.  While running the linux rescue command, it warns me that it sees
no hard drives, and that I can choose to load certain device drivers.
Well, it's a little tough for me to tell which I need.

Other questions:
Is it possible for me to execute this cloning operation?
I'm under the impression right now that the machines need different
device drivers, and the source machine doesn't have what's needed to
drive the target machine.
Is there a way to load the proper drivers to the source machine before I
clone it so the target machine will use them?
Am I up a creek?

Thanks in advance.
SOW