system won't reboot

Dana Holland dana.work at navarrocollege.edu
Thu Jan 12 21:16:15 UTC 2006

I'm having another issue with the same system.  When we issue a
"shutdown -Fr now", the system won't reboot on it's own - we have to
physically turn off the server and turn it back on.  On the screen it
hangs at the line "Restarting the system".  I've tried going through the
various logs to find a clue, but the only thing unusual I'm seeing is
this, which is found in boot.log.

Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ø'^E^H^P¶]·^P
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A:
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^D
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: facility local7
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^B
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A:
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A:
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^E
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^B
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A:
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^G
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: `å^G^H(¶]· roo^Y

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find our problem?