Second drive

Tenacious One tenaciousone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 02:11:18 UTC 2006

Hmm, maybe I'm doing something wrong. It looks as though I created it ok:

#df -h
/dev/hda2             3.2G  2.5G  510M  84% /
/dev/hda1              99M  9.2M   85M  10% /boot
none                  251M     0  251M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb1             3.2G  2.5G  510M  84% /

Above command shows, it's only 510M free??? Yet it's a 13G drive:

#fdisk /dev/hdb
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1582.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdb: 13.0 GB, 13020069888 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1582 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1             1      1582  12707383+  83  Linux

I tried to create a directory that I could add to the /etc/fstab to
mount at boot:

# mkdir /dev/hdb1/data
mkdir: cannot create directory `/dev/hdb1/data': Not a directory

I want to use all of the drive as a mount point, say, "Data", what am
I doing wrong?