Grub Stalls at Stage 1.5

Gus Zernial gus_zernial at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 02:56:28 UTC 2006

My system has a new install of RHEL4U2. The boot stalls at Stage1.5,
but after a while it continues and boots.

The system has three disks, one IDE and two SATA. The system
used to run Windows Server 2003. RedHat is now installed on the
two SATA disks, which are set up using software RAID. The IDE
disk is (still) a bootable Windows/NTFS disk, but the system now
boots RedHat because the SATA disks are "ahead of" the IDE
disk in the BIOS boot order.

The only thing I can think of is that the Windows disk is somehow
confusing Grub, but that's a pure guess ... if anyone can tell me
why it might stall at Stage1.5 and how to fix it, I'd appreciate it.