what is logwatch doing?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Jan 3 16:46:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:12:44AM -0500, Andrew Bacchi wrote:
> The job originates in /etc/cron.daily/00-logwatch. You can disable it by
> removing it from /etc/cron.daily. But I don't know why you would want
> to, it provides me valuable information every day.

A *much* better alternative to logwatch is logcheck.  It emails you on
log file exceptions instead of emailing you everyday with stuff you
don't care about.  I run logcheck hourly on all my servers and with
properly tuned ignore files, it's quiet unless there's something that I
need to know about.

        .../Ed