update help

Sherrett O. Walker buznakka at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 01:16:02 UTC 2006

Hello, all.  Best wishes to you in this new year.

I have inherited a pack of RHEL3.0ES servers.  2 Dell 2850s, a pack of
1850s, an 850, and 6 1420s.  They come to me with a load of software
installed via different methods (rpm, tar.gz, tar.bz).

Forgive me, as I'm new to this.  My understanding is that I can get
redhat to upgrade software with problems (sounds like a rap group- SWP?)
on these machines for me for $300 per year per machine or so via the red
hat network.  However, is the software that's installed via non-RPM hard
to keep in the proper update queue?  Is there a better way to do this?
I've read a little about yum- is that an option for me?  And, is it
important for me to keep an eye on this?  Should I be looking out for
software like ssh or https only, or do I need to watch kernel
information especially?  Am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance.
SOW