Help with Mail Server

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Thu Jan 5 10:10:14 UTC 2006

Hi Angel,

Angel Gomez wrote:

> I need to install a mail server linux for about 300
> domains of Internet with more of 1000 accounts of mail.
>
> That you recommend to me,, I have thought to me about SurgeMail de
> NetWin, also I have watched Kerio Mail server and IceWarp Mail Server.
>
> Some experience.

I'd certainly give Cyrus IMAP a look. It has various options for
multiple/virtual domains, options for horizontal and vertical
scalability (and redundancy) and can handle a lot of accounts very well.
Several other "all-in-one" solutions use Cyrus for mail (like scalix,
openexchange, Kolab and a few others if I'm correct).

There is also a RedHat package of Cyrus since RH 4 (and therefore I
suppose RedHat will support cyrus too if you use their package - but I
have no experience with that, please correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

It's not a "complete" all-in-one solution like the ones you mention,
just a very good (IMHO) IMAP server, you will need an MTA (like
sendmail, exim or postfix) to receive mail and forward it to cyrus and
setup your webmail if you need that (like squirrelmail (look at the
avelsieve plugin for filter-rules if you're going for cyrus).
All are available as RH packages. If you're going for a lot of virtual
domains, you could have a look at vexim - I have no experience with it,
but it just came to mind ;-)

Good luck,

Paul

P.S. Other IMAP servers like dovecot or courier might suit you just as
well; it's just that I've used Cyrus for years now, always kept my eyes
open for the alternatives and tried them once in a while, but personally
never got as satisfied as with Cyrus ;-)