Will FedoraCore1-built binaries run on all Fedora systems?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Thu Jan 5 19:48:43 UTC 2006

At 1/5/2006 12:45 PM, Allen Smith wrote:
>You can also type:
>ldd foo
>to get a list of dynamic libraries needed by a binary called foo.

Yes, thank you for the library-dependency background info.  I'm a developer
and have some experience in this topic.

What I do not know:  how much work does the Fedora community do to ensure
that the libraries for new FedoraCore platforms are backwards compatible
with old ones?

I am building software to target all the Fedora platforms (from FC1 through
FC4...or any new ones that come out), and I'd prefer that I build one
binary for all four (currently) of the FedoraCore platforms for the
i386/i686 base...and not have to setup and run 4 different Fedora build
machines in my "build farm" (from which I'm also building Windows, RHEL,
Debian, and probably FreeBSD flavors of my software as well).

As side note: are i386/i686 essentially the same binary?  Or should I be
careful to binary-distribution-config control (and differentiate between)
these 2 flavors (i386 and i686)?

To be clear: I'm not worried about .rpm packages for now.  I'm just talking
about the binary-application dependence, and therefore the conversation
probably becomes mostly a library-dependence conversation.

I am building exclusively C++-based code using the g++ toolset that comes
with whatever Fedora machine I build from, and I can update the g++ toolset
as need be.

-Matt