[Q] DELL2650 frequently hang while doing file backup

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Thu Jan 5 20:06:28 UTC 2006

(Disclaimer: I am not an Oracle expert, just a low end admin).

I was told to never, ever, ever do a /bin/cp on any kind of relational
database file.  I was always told that this will corrupt the file, has
the possibility of taking the server down and in general is very bad!

To backup our MySQL servers, I use the command 'mysqldump' to a text
file and then gzip it.  To backup the Oracle and MSSQL servers I have an
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager server and have the TSM agents for MS and
Oracle.

(I know, not much help, but maybe advice that could save you a headache
in the future).  I'm not sure I'd want to try and recover from a file
that was just 'copied'.

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian at visionpro.com || brian at doubledimension.com }
--