[Q] DELL2650 frequently hang while doing file backup

Tom Callahan callahant at tessco.com
Thu Jan 5 21:14:02 UTC 2006

First off, what version of Oracle is this. If 9i or 10g, you should be
using RMAN as your backup. CP is not a valid, or supported, backup
strategy, especially if the DB is still running while you are copying.

The reason you are seeing heavy CPU is that you are I/O bound from the
SAN to your disks. You are hitting wait time, which brings both your
load avg, and your cpu usage up.

Thanks,

Tom Callahan
TESSCO Technologies
(443)-506-6216
callahant at tessco.com

A real engineer only resorts to documentation when the keyboard dents on the forehead get too noticeable.