Can I install Yum and repos?

Leonard Soetedjo stelar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 01:08:26 UTC 2006

On 06 January 2006 am 08:53, Ed Wilts wrote:
 > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 03:19:24PM -0600, Hamilton, David wrote:
> > I had yum installed when I used FC4 and I would like to use it in RHEL 4
> > if possible. Can someone provide how-to info or point me to a link?
>
> You can install yum but you can't get RHEL 4 update binaries that way -
> Red Hat only makes the updates available via up2date.

If you administer a few RHEL4, you can set up your own local yum / apt server.
The application I use is yam, its website is at
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/

I believe you can download Red Hat's update using rsync (or http/ftp)?  yam
can be configured to download updates that way.  In fact I download CentOS
update in that manner.

Regards,

Leonard Soetedjo