Question about a pci graphic card

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at McKesson.com
Fri Jan 6 22:21:23 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Hamilton, David [mailto:dhamilton at rose.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 4:57 PM
To: redhat-list at redhat.com
Subject: Question about a pci graphic card

I have a ati radeon 7000 graphics card and under RHEL 4 X will crash and/or
freeze if I use the ati drivers installed by default.  I have tried the
7000, VE and generic radeon driver and the VESA driver is the only one that
works.  The strange this is when I used Fedora Core 4  the ati drivers
installed by default work fine.  I tested my cdroms for errors and they are
error free. How can I tell if it is a driver issue and if it is can I
somehow get the drivers from the FC4 DVD and use them on RHEL?

David

	We had a Dell system with the Radeon graphics card that did the same
thing. When I called Dell they said I could either change xorg.conf file to
specify the vesa driver or down load a driver from them that was suppose to
work. They got the driver source from ATI and fixed several problems. I
selected to just change to the vesa driver because the console is only used
now and then for some admin work and or rebooting. If you want the Dell
Radeon driver I think you can just go to their web page and click on support
and down to Linux.

Jack Allen