Kernel panic - not syncing

Michael D. Berger m.d.berger at ieee.org
Sun Jan 8 18:02:15 UTC 2006

I reported this problem previously on redhat-list at redhat.com
possibly in relation to the leap second.  We see now that the
leap second may have been coincidental.

I am running a rather complex libipq daemon, which may be
related to this.

I am also running tethereal in the background on this box.

I note that while previously the failure occurred on two
boxes, in this case, only one box failed.

I am considering upgrading to the latest fedora.

On:
   Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4(Nahant)
   Kernel 2.6.9-5.EL on an i686
I get:
   Kernel panic - not syncing: net/ipv4/tcp_timer.c:yyy:
   spin_lock(net/ipv4/tcp_minisocks.c:xxxxxxxx) already locked by
   net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c/1790

                     previous         now
yyy                  211              422
xxxxxxxx             f5fee080         f62db080

Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger