qmail

thierry itty thierry.itty at besancon.org
Fri Jan 13 07:34:50 UTC 2006

Rezk Mekhael a écrit :

>Dear all,
>I am using Qmail on a Dell 2680 machine, this email server was running about
>3 years but in this few days, qmail received mail very slow, I send the mail
>through internel and intranet is the same, after 12 hours the mail can
>recieved by the server. I try to clear the mailing list, and send a mail
>through intranet, but the server cannot received it immediately, the mailing
>list still empty, after few minutes the mail server queue many rubbish mail,
>but didn't have my testing email on the list.
>I check the /var/qmail/queue/lock/trigger, the permission is correct.
>and I already check the DNS, the pop3 and smtp domain name is correct.
>Can anyone have the same experience on it and give some suggestion.

I had such a problem once, the /var filesystem was almost full (95%)
acutally, as qmail never runs as root, it considered it as totally full
(the last 5% being usually reserved for root's only usage (depending on
filesystem formating options choices)) and so, althought everything
looked correct, qmail was very slow because it always had to wait until
a few bytes were freed (by sending/routing a message out and deleting it
from its queues) before receiving/accepting incoming messages
If this is the cas at your's, make sure to give more room to qmail by
increasing /var size or deleting/moving other files
hth