Adaptec 29160 with a RHEL 3

Margaret_Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Sat Jan 14 22:33:24 UTC 2006

I have just upgraded a server from an old Dell to a Dell Optiplex GX
620 which has a SATA drive.  I have added an adaptec 29160 scsi pci
card to the system.  I am running RHEL Update 6 so that the system
could see the drives.

Adaptec has not written a driver for RHEL Update 6.  I looked on their
pages; I called Adaptec for confirmation.

I have downloaded the aic7Yxx-2.0.15-6.3.11-linux-2.4.tgz  which is the
source for the driver.  How do I build the driver and add it to the
system.

I understand that I can add the driver module to /etc/modules.conf once
it is built; I don't have to rebuild the kernel.

I did see the following mail on the redhat mailing list that indicates
that my attempts may be futile.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks